Act to establish Federal Uni. of Education Nsugbe, passed into Law waiting for Mr President Assent. By Paschal Candle & Chidi Orjika.
Nsugbe Community in Anambra East local government Area, Anambra State and South East is hopeful of having a Federal University of Education soon. This is sequel to the pasaage of a bill seeking the establishment of such a university at the House of Representatives on Thursday sponspored by Dr Tony Nwoye,a member Representing the good people of Anambra East and West Federal Constituency.
It will be recalled that before now in the whole of South East, there is no Federal University of Education in the zone and even in South South, except some Colleges of Education in three South East States. This University when fully established and upgraded will go a long way in addressing a lot of issues in our educational system in the Zone and Nigeria at Large.
The brief Summary and background of the bill is as follows:
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE BILL
• This bill as the name suggests seeks to establish specialized university of Education at Nsugbe, Anambra state.
• May it be noted that Nsugbe has an existing College of Education previously known as “College of Education Nsugbe but now Nwafor Orizu College of Education Nsugbe.
• By the provision of Section 28 of this bill, it seeks to upgrade the hitherto College of Education Nsugbe to a Federal Degree awarding University whose core area of Specialization is Education acquisition and related matters.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF COLLEGE OF EDUCATION NSUGBE / NWAFOR ORIZU
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
• The Institution known today as Nwafor Orizu College of Education Nsugbe began in 1976 as Teacher Training College and in 1981 it was upgraded to College of Education. It was merged with the Former Awka College of Education to form Anambra State College of Education Nsugbe in 1991. It was renamed Nwafor Orizu College of Education Nsugbe in 2000.
It has about six faculties/schools with 26 departments. It has about 300 academic staffs
and 600 non academic staffs with about 9,500 students.
- Federal University of Education Nsugbe is designed to offer special Education Degree Programmes with the intention of producing highly competent, prepared special education professionals who are realy to set the pace for advancement in education
- There had been this sustained agitation by the Nigeria Parents and attempts by successive Governments in Nigeria to increase the admission spaces among the Federal Universities in Nigeria.
So far, all the measures put in place to give effect to this agitation by the successive Governments have not really satisfied this demands. Stakeholders have recommended three options:
- To expand the infrastructure in the existing Universities,
- To convert some identified first generation Colleges of Education or Polytechnics to Universities, and
- To establish new Universities.
Of these three options, the most effectivc option is the conversion of some Colleges of Education and Polytechnics into Universities. There is disheartening disparity in the budgetary allocations between colleges of Education and their Federal University Counterparts.
In this 2017 Budget, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka in Anambra State got budgetary allocation of N7.7 billion naira whereas College of Education Nsugbe got budgetary allocation of N480 Million subvention and N200 million for capital projects from Anambra State Government. The
budgetary allocation of about (N600million naira) indeed is nothing to write home about as it is funded by the State Government with its present status as a non oil producing State coupled with the fact that the State Government has its own State University known as Anambra State University amongst other educational institutions.
OBJECTIVES OF THIS BILL
- The Conversion of this College of Education to Federal University of Education has become more necessary in order to upgrade the quality of training in this Institution,to bridge and harmonise the disparity between College of Education and University
The United Kingdom from where we borrowed our educational system
have converted most of their Polytechnics/Colleges of Education to Universities. By so doing, unnecessary duplication of courses and outdated courses were weeded off their educational system.
- It will refocus our educational system to the promotion of education, Science and technology. The trend of modern educational System, that is,
promotion of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- It shall serve as a test case for the conversion of College of Education to University. The Conversion will engender necessary upgrade of the course content of the various departments to that of a University.
4.This College of Education is centre of excellence but because of the discriminatory patronage of College of Education in Nigeria, it has been reduced to dumping ground for second rated students. Converting it to University shall restore its appeal as centre of excellence thereby attracting the best of students and academicians.
- As College of Education, it is not open to post graduate studies even though it has the capacity and facility for postgraduate studies. Once it is upgraded to a University, it will empower it to undertake postgraduate studies just like any stablished University in Nigeria.
- Encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in restricted fields of learning and human endeavor.
- Encourage advancement of learning and hold out all persons without distinction of race, sex, creed or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring higher and liberal education.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE BILL
Some of the key features of this bill includes:
• Provisions establishing Federal University of Education Nsugbe.
• The Administrative structure of the University and the appointment and tenure of key functionaries i.e. Chancellor, Pro-Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellors, Registrar.
. The funding of the University (section 23 of the bill).
• Provisions relating to securing the appointments of existing staff during the period of transition of this College of Education to University.
In his final remark, Dr Tony Nwoye told the Right Honourable Speaker and Dear Colleagues, the establishment of federal University of Education Nsugbe is long overdue. The job is even made easier because there are facilities in place in this location to accommodate this University since it has an existing College of Education.
Besides, Nigerians are demanding the establishment of more Universities. This is an opportunity for us to write our names in gold in the history of this country.
Supporting Dr Nwoye’s submission, Hon. Nicholas Ossai (PDP Delta State), said the school would provide the needed manpower in the education sector. “We need the school to be upgraded to a university, they have the necessary manpower. I support the bill”, he simply said. When subjected to voice vote, the bill got the endorsement of all the members of the House.
🎓Impact of Dr Tony Nwoye Bill’s to Ndi Anambra and Ndi Igbo Generally
The Entire South East region, has no Federal University of Education until 2015 that the administration of Goodluck Jonathan approved the Upgrade of four Colleges of Education to University of Education which Alvan Ikoku college of education is one them. Without amending the relevant sections of the Act establishing those Colleges of Education. Those efforts were fruitless because it didn’t not see the light of the day.
With increased quest to acquire education by Ndi Igbo and the rising demand for specailly trained teachers in the country, this University when fully upgraded will go a long way in addressing a lot of issues including serving as an accessible centre to acquire both basic and advance degrees in Education in the South East and also aides the obtaining of teaching pre requisites for career lecturers /teachers.
➕ Enormous Benefit of the Bill to Ndi Anambra in general
✔✔Anambra will be in history as another first to have a Federal University of Education upgraded from its status as state college of Education.
.✔✔Anambra state will become the next Educational centre for the training of professional Teachers and acquisition of Education Certification in the S.E
✔✔Anambra will be again blessed with avalanche of professional teachers, institutions and bodies in education and education related fields.
✔✔Creation of job for Anambrarians directly ad academics and non academics .
✔✔Many indirect jobs and economic activities inherent in University will come to Anambra.
✔✔The Anambra State Government will be relieved of the financial burden of funding the school.
✔✔Anambra state government will re-direct the school’s allocation to other critical sectors.
✔✔Umu Ndi Anambra will be saved the cost and inconvenience of traveling far to acquire special training in Education.
Thank you Dr Tony Nwoye for being the voice of the masses.
Written By Paschal Candle and Mazi Chidi Orjika.