Gianluigi Buffon is regarded as one of the finest goalkeepers of all time.
For around 20 years, the Italian performed to a world-class standard for both club and country.
Buffon’s stints at Juventus are the stuff of legend, with the elegant shot-stopper winning 10 Serie A titles and five Coppa Italias in Turin.
The 43-year-old, who’s now back at boyhood club Parma, was also named the Italian top-flight’s Goalkeeper of the Year a remarkable 12 times.
Buffon is a true legend of the game and when it comes to clean sheets kept in the 21st century, no comes close to matching Gigi.
Since the turn of the millennium, the 2006 World Cup winner has prevented the opposing team from scoring in a game on 409 occasions.
That’s a staggering record and one that we can’t see being equalled or surpassed anytime soon.
The only man who stands a chance of matching Buffon is Bayern Munich‘s Manuel Neuer, who has kept the fifth-most clean sheets in the 21st century.
Take a look at the German’s overall tally and the rest of the top 10 provided by Transfermarkt in full below…
The 10 goalkeepers with the most clean sheets in the 21st century
10. Samir Handanovic | 244 clean sheets in 698 games
9. Mickael Landreau | 256 clean sheets in 661 games
8. Victor Valdes | 260 clean sheets in 586 games
7. Edwin van der Sar | 271 clean sheets in 573 games
6. Hugo Lloris | 285 clean sheets in 795 games
5. Manuel Neuer | 344 clean sheets in 757 games
4. Pepe Reina | 355 clean sheets in 883 games
3. Iker Casillas | 365 clean sheets in 883 games
2. Petr Cech | 365 clean sheets in 836 games
1. Gianluigi Buffon | 409 clean sheets in 900 games
Champions League 2021/22: Fixtures, Draw, Results, Odds, Scores And Everything You Need To Know
Neuer currently trails Buffon by 65 clean sheets, a difference that will be hard to make up given that the German is now 35.
However, the Bayern superstar is still one of the best in the business and playing week in week out for a team that ranks among the finest in world football right now.
It will be tough, but Neuer has an outside chance of breaking Buffon’s record before he calls time on his career.