Sweden has become the first country in the world to officially declare sex as a sport.
It now has the Swedish Sex Federation, which will host on June 8 the first European Sex Championship in Gothenburg.
The tournament, which will take place over a span of six weeks will see participants competing in the sport for around six hours and in different disciplines.
The participants will take part in the sexual activities from 45 minutes to one hour daily which will depend on the duration of the matches.
The President of the Swedish Sex Federation, Dragan Bratych, said it was inevitable to recognise sex as a sport, with physical training required for the competition.
Bratych said: “Just like any other sport, achieving desired results in sex requires training.
“Therefore, it is only logical for people to start competing in this domain as well.”
The European Sex Championship values diversity and accepts competitors regardless of gender or sexual orientation.
The organisers have emphasised that sexual orientation can play a strategic role in this sport, which they believe will be adopted by other European countries in the future
So far, the championship has received applications from 20 entrants representing various countries.
Winners will be determined through a combination of viewership ratings and evaluations from three panels of judges.
The audience vote will be weighted 70 per cent, with the remaining 30 per cent coming from the judges’ scores.
The European Sex Championship will feature 16 disciplines, including seduction, oral sex, penetration, appearance and more.
Its goal is to celebrate the art of physical intimacy and promote open discussions about sex as a form of sport.
Disciplines for European Sex Championship
Massage of various parts of the body
Massage of erotic zones on the opponent’s body
Artistic performance and exchange of postures
Endurance and The Number of Orgasms
Creativity in Change of Position.
Increased blood pressure and heart rate during competition.
The most beautiful and difficult position
Most active couple
In each discipline, tournament participants can receive from five to 10 points.
Points are awarded by the public and a committee of five judges.
According to the Swedish Sex Association, sex as a sport is a complex endeavour that requires creativity, strong emotions, imagination, physical fitness, endurance and workability from the participants.
The association’s president mentioned that the competition rules will evolve over time based on observations and requirements.
Although this is the first event, the plan is to update and modernise the championship annually.