1. The Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi has directed the Ministry of Justice to undertake a holistic review of the Laws of Ekiti State, including where necessary proposing new laws that will enhance good governance in Ekiti State.
2. In furtherance of this directive, the Ministry of Justice has commenced the process of reviewing the Laws of Ekiti State.
3. In addition, the following new legislation has been proposed for the consideration of the State Executive Council.
A. COMPULSORY FREE UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION BILL, 2020
A Bill to provide for the establishment of the Ekiti State Universal Basic Education Board and for connected purposes
B. GOVERNOR’S STATUTORY FUNCTIONS (TRANSFER TO STATE COMMISSIONERS) BILL, 2020
A Bill to provide for the transfer of certain statutory functions of the Governor to State Commissioners, and for purposes incidental to or connected with it.
C. HEALTH SECTOR REFORM BILL, 2020
A Bill to make provision for the reform of health sector, Ekiti State Hospital Management Board, Primary Health Care Board and Traditional Medicine Board in Ekiti State and connected purposes.
D. JUDICIAL SERVICE COMMISSION RULES, 2020
E. EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY BILL, 2020
A Bill to provide for the establishment, informoration, constitution and functions of the Ekiti State University and for connected purposes.
F. OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY TO THE STATE GOVERNMENT BILL, 2020
A Bill to provide for the establishment of the Office of the Secretary to the State Government and for Connected purposes.
G. PENSION RIGHT OF EKITI STATE JUDICIAL OFFICERS BILL, 2020
A Bill to transfer from the Ekiti State Office of Establishment and Pensions to Ekiti State Judicial Service Commission, payment of pension, and other retirement benefits of Ekiti State Judicial Officers and for connected purposes.
H. SPECIAL OFFENCES COURT BILL, 2020
A Bill to establish the special offences Court which shall try environmental offences and such other offences committed under various enactment throughout the State.
I. STREET TRADING AND ILLEGAL MARKET (PROHIBITION) BILL, 2020
A Bill to provide for the prohibition of street trading and illegal markets in Ekiti State and for connected matters.
J. WILLS BILL, 2020
A Bill to regulate the disposition of property by Will in Ekiti State and for connected purposes.
4. Notice is hereby given that the Department of Law Review, Legal Research and Statistics, Ministry of Justice is now receiving comments on these proposed Bills.
Interested government and non-government persons and institutions, experts and concerned stakeholders are invited to send their comments on all or any of the proposed legislation to the following contact address:
Department of Law Review, Legal Research and Statistics
Ministry of Justice
Phase III, State Secretariat
5. Comments should be received in Electronic copy via [email protected] & or Hard Copy to the given address on or before Friday, 14th August 2020
Adegboyega Morakinyo Esq.
Director, Department of Law Review, Legal Research & Statistics.