The traditional ruler, Oba Olusegun Aremu-Cole, who was the Olukoro of Koro-Ekiti in the Ekiti Local Government Area (LGA) of Kwara, was murdered in his palace on Thursday night.
5th February, 2024
By Afusat Agunbiade-Oladipo
The gunmen who killed a traditional ruler, Oba Olusegun Aremu-Cole, the Olukoro of Koro-Ekiti in the Ekiti Local Government Area (LGA) of Kwara are now demanding N40 million to free his wife and one other person abducted after they killed him.
The kidnappers had previously demanded the sum of N100 million as ransom to free the traditional ruler’s wife and the other person they were holding hostage when they contacted the family on Sunday.
The traditional ruler was killed in his palace on Thursday evening by the gunmen who were suspected to be kidnappers.
They also abducted his wife and another person after the grievous murder.
Mr Kehinde Bayode, Chairman of the Transition Implementation Committee (TIC) in the Ekiti Local Government Council of Kwara confirmed the reduction in the ransom being demanded by the gunmen from N100 million to N40 million to journalists on Sunday.
He also said a suspect had been apprehended over the murder and abduction.
He said the suspect was arrested in Eruku town in the Ekiti LGA on Sunday.
While speaking on efforts made to free the abducted wife of the monarch and the other person, Bayode said: “The kidnappers had got in touch with the family.
They were demanding N100 million ransom, which has now been reduced to N40 million.
“But we are still negotiating with them and right now, I’m on my way to Koro to get the latest information on the negotiation.
“We will continue to brief you (journalists) as the situation unfolds and we will keep you posted,” he had said late on Sunday.
However, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Kwara, Toun Ejire-Adeyemi, did not confirm the arrest of any suspect.
She said rather that no arrest had been made in connection with the incident.
“The Commissioner of Police has deployed a tactical team to Koro-Ekiti to fish out the perpetrators.
“Policemen are working with other security agencies to free those that were abducted during the kidnapping incident.
“No arrest has been made yet. We are going to keep you abreast of developments as they unfold,” she said.