The Defence Headquarters has said the Christmas Eve attacks across communities in Plateau State that left close to 200 dead, many injured and many displaced were planned to embarrass and make the Federal Government look stupid.
The killings marked the seventh month of Mr Tinubu’s assumption of office as President.
“The shocking incident that occurred in Bokkos, Barkin Ladi was quite unfortunate. There was no reason for the attack,” the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, said in an interview with Channels TV on Monday.
He said, “I think the purpose is to embarrass everybody and to make the government look stupid.”
Mr Musa added that Nigerian military was “making some arrests” connected to the Plateau Christmas Eve killings and explained the military’s delayed response to the distress calls from the attacked villages
Last week Monday, Peoples Gazette reported that over 112 were killed and 47 injured as armed herdsmen in coordinated attacks wreaked havoc on at least 12 communities spanning Barkin Ladi and Bokkos council areas on Christmas Eve. But the number of casualties has increased to over 195 since then as more bodies were recovered.
President Bola Tinubu has condemned the killings, ordering provision of relief materials for survivors. Vice President Kashim Shettima also visited Plateau State with some government officials to condole with families of victims.
In his New Year message, Mr Tinubu left out the Christmas Eve attack in Plateau, claiming that security had improved since he assumed office in May.
However, Amnesty International condemned the attacks, berating Mr Tinubu for failing to protect communities in the state and Nigeria at large.
As Nigerians lamented the incident, the United Nations, France and the U.S. condemned it, charging the Federal Government to bring the perpetrators to book.