1. Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State expresses the deepest sympathy to the families of a woman and a child burnt to death and other victims in a fire incident which occured this afternoon in Onitsha. The fire also razed structures, including shops on Upper Iweka Road and at Ochanja market.
2. The accident occurred when a tanker laden with petroleum products, fell into a ditch and spilled its contents. A ball of fire resulted from this incident and quickly spread.
3. Men of the Anambra State Fire Service arrived at the scene with their new equipment but for some reason however, they were unable to quench the inferno. Consequently the angry mob at the scene prevented other fire trucks from getting to the scene.
4. Governor Obiano and the entire people of Anambra State regret this unfortunate situation and Hos Excellency has taken steps to address the concerns of those affected. Government therefore requests owners of properties affected by the tragic accident, shop owners and family reps of deceased victims to assemble at Ekwueme Square, Awka on Monday October 21 2019 at 11am for documentation and to see how the Anambra State Government can assist them.
5. A panel headed by the Deputy Governor, HE Dr. Nkem Okeke, has been set up by the Governor to immediately determine the cause of the accident, why the firemen could not put out the fire and how the condition of the victims can be ameliorated.
6. Governor Obiano and all Citizens of Anambra State identify with victims of this unfortunate incident and the general inhabitants of Onitsha over this inferno. The Anambra State Government are in solidarity with the victims.
7. The government therefore calls on all Citizens to remain calm. Everyone is reassured of Government’s commitment to the well being of all and sundry.
8. Meanwhile, all security and Law Enforcement Agencies in the State have been directed to ensure that law and order is maintained within and around the affected areas.
C. Don Adinuba
Commissioner for Information & Public Enlightenment