The Lagos Enterprise GIS Upgrade and the Integrated Land Administration Automation Systems initiated in 2015 with the objective of providing a full digital mapping
platform has acquured Two (2) Tiguar S-410 UAVs and ancillary equipment by Messrs. Asseco Software Nigeria for the acquisition and update of high resolution aerial photographs (i.e. Orthophoto) and LiDAR photos on the behalf of Lagos State was procured.
i. The UAVs would offer the unique ability for LASG to capture data, within a convenient time frame.
ii.Due to the unique flight characteristics of UAVs, the imagery is sharper and offers additional unique advantages.
Drones fly very low compared to manned aircraft—400 feet is a typical altitude. This means that the camera captures high ground resolution on the order of two to five centimeters.
iv. because there is a large amount of overlap in the imagery, digital photogrammetric processing results in 3D point clouds of similar resolution.
v.Turnaround time is a few hours, instead of days, weeks, or months in the case of traditional delivery times.
LASG would be able to control the process rather than outsourcing or being stuck with generic imagery that doesn’t meet the temporal requirements which will form the new base-map in eGIS and Land Administration and Automation project components.
The Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) project includes the following:
- 2 Tiguar Unmanned Aerial Vehicles- 22.5kg
- maximum take-off load, payload up to 7kg
- flight endurance 6hr max
- altitude 1500m Above Mean Sea Level AMSL
- 2 High resolution static Cameras by Sony –A7r. 36,4MPx,CMOS
- 2 night vision Infrared cameras and System functionalities by FLIR-TAU2, 640*480PIX, 9Hz, 35mm lens.
- 1 LiDAR + necessary UAV developments by Yellow scan, 10cm accuracy, laser scanner frequency: 40kHz Equipment & Accessories.
- 1 Asseco Ground Control Station (AGCS) including Datalink and ground equipment.
- 1 UAV system Simulator
- Training for 6 Lagos State Govt officers (International and local)
AREAS OF APPLICATION of the UAVs:
iv. Flood monitoring.
v.Search and rescue operation
vi.And many more.
Lagos State Government has invested hugely in this cutting edge technology in its belief that improved geospatial data will ultimately lead to improved planning and service to the people.